On November 12th, 2011 North Star Academy will be welcoming our 2011 graduates for their convocation ceremony. The ceremony will he held at North Star Academy Laval as of 2pm. We are looking forward in welcoming back our former students and to discover how their journey has commenced.
To all parents
To all school staff members
SUBJECT: IMPORTANT MESSAGE CONCERNING MEASLES
Since April 2011, there has been a measles outbreak in the province of Québec. To this date, more than 750 cases have been identified, with two thirds of the cases occurring in the school setting. Some have been confirmed in regions near Laval.
Measles is a serious and highly contagious disease that is contracted by breathing the same air as an infected person. Measles usually presents with a high fever, a runny nose, red and teary eyes, cough and red spots on the body. Measles may lead to major complications, such as a lung infection (pneumonia) or brain infection (encephalitis).
Since vaccination remains the most effective means of protection against measles, the health network, in collaboration with the school network, is undertaking an extensive vaccination campaign in all of the Québec schools. The objective is to vaccinate students and school staff members that have not received the required doses of vaccine or have no proof of vaccination (record or other). In Laval, vaccination will begin in high schools as of mid-November.
Is your family’s vaccination up to date?
• Make sure that all the members of your family are adequately protected against measles.
• Be prepared to bring your vaccination record; you will need it during the vaccination campaign.
To be considered protected someone must be:
• Born in 1980 or after and have received two doses of vaccine against measles on the day of their first birthday or after;
• Born between 1970 and 1979 and have received one dose of measles vaccine on the day of their first birthday or after;
• Born before 1970, even if they have not received any doses of vaccine against measles.
If you have been vaccinated, your vaccination record will contain the name of one of the following vaccines: RRO, M-M-R, M-M-R II, Priorix or Priorix-Tetra, Trivirix, Attenuvax, Rimevax, Rubeovax, Lirugen, M-R Vax, measles vaccine, etc.
No news is good news!
Only the individuals who are not adequately vaccinated or have no valid proof of vaccination will be contacted to receive the vaccine at school. The vaccine is safe and effective.
For all questions about measles, the vaccine and the campaign carried out in the schools, you can consult the website www.msss.gouv.qc.ca/rougeole, or call Info Santé 8 1 1. For any information relating to this operation in SWL schools, we invite you to regularly visit our Website at
Please note that the health and safety of students and staff members are our top priority and that we will continue to keep you constantly informed.
This Friday, October 28th, North Star Academy Laval will be holding its 2nd annual Halloween Activity Day. The day will be filled with Halloween movies, candy, a pizza lunch and a costume contest. The winner of the costume contest will receive a free movie pass to a local movie theater.
It is important to note that costumes must be appropriate and suitable for a school environment. Students must bring their uniform along with their costume. In case of non – conformity to NSA dress code students who do not have their uniform and are not dressed appropriately will be sent home.
Meet the Dinosaurs!
On Thursday, October 27th, our Secondary 1, 2 and 3 students will step back in time to 65 million years ago and discover dinosaurs like they’ve never seen them before! Starring the world’s largest and most realistic animatronic creatures, Dinosaurs Unearthed also presents some amazing scientific discoveries for us to behold.
After lunch, we will watch Born to be Wild in IMAX3D®, and explore the Science 26 exhibit. Behind each letter of the alphabet, a scientific concept can be explored through a variety of hands-on and fun experiences. For a sneak peak, check out: http://www.montrealsciencecentre.com/home.html
Please join us for the next Parent Committee meeting on Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 @ 7:00PM. This is an open committee, so every parent is welcome – and encouraged! – to attend.
New this year: teacher participation. Mrs. Pepin will be there to represent the Administration, but 3 teachers have also committed to taking part in our meetings so we get their feedback and points of view:
- Mrs. Graziani
- Mr. Scerbo
- Mme. Sater
1) Define & clarify the purpose, roles and functions of the Parent Committee.
2) June Final Exam grades: some questions had been raised about how the exams are graded vs. the final term grade. This will be explained.
3) NSAL Web Site: summer updates could have been done to keep parents abreast of news, as well as remind them of important points.
4) Parent Committee fee: every family is required to pay $200 per year. Mrs. Pepin will detail how these funds have been/will be used.
5) Phys. Ed. vs. Art: several parents have raised the point that art classes are much more frequent than phys. ed. Mrs. Pepin will explain why that is.
6) Music: several parents have asked why the music program is no longer available.
7) Various – other points that can be brought up during the meeting.
Please note that the minutes of the meeting will be posted to the website several days after the meeting.