In 2013, IDC (a leading analyst firm) released a research paper that revealed the top 20 skills that employers were looking for in candidates; they analyzed millions of high-growth, high-paying job postings. While oral and written communication and attention to details filled the top 2 spots, proficiency with Microsoft Office productivity tools came in third!
To help our students develop these skills, North Star Academy has opted to make the move from Google Apps to Office365, Microsoft’s cloud-based offering. In September 2014, the entire staff was moved to Office365. Student accounts will now be provisioned and later in the fall they will be given training on how to use some of the components.
Benefits of using Office365 include:
- anywhere access through the Office365 webportal
- online Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications
- email accounts in the northstaracademy.ca domain
- collaboration with their peers through online co-editing of documents (two or more students can be working on the same document at once)
- 1TB of personal storage in OneDrive to store and sync files across devices
- collaboration with teachers through the use of SharePoint Online
- license to install the Office 2013 suite on up to 5 computers*
- use of Office for iPad to access and edit files on their mobile devices*
* There are two basic educational plans for Office365, A2 and A3, Initially, the all students will be provisioned using the free A2 plan, which does not include the desktop Office suite or the mobile apps. If you would like your child to have access to these additional features, the cost is only $45 for an entire year. Simply send a cheque made out to the school for this amount and we will assign A3 licenses to their account.